Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Edge Rock Gym


As a kid, every summer at a week-long camp we could choose two "interest groups." Mine were the same every summer: the adventure course and rappelling.

So when I drove by The Edge Rock Gym (in that mostly deserted complex by the Ice Rink on Phillips Highway) a few weeks ago while working on a story, I was pumped. Friday when I saw a Groupon for an instruction and gear all-day pass for $15 p/p (regular price for the day pass, including everything you need, is still a really reasonable $25), I was even more pumped! $30 and one day later and we were on the wall.

Have you seen those rock climbing towers in malls and at fairs? The Edge Rock Gym is kind of like that, except an entire gym of climbing walls.

ready to climb!
They asked us to make reservations with the Groupons, and I believe if you are doing the regular day pass package they also ask that you make them.

When we arrived, we signed a waiver and were fitted with climbing shoes and harnesses and each given a carabiner. Then my husband, myself and another couple went through an instruction course, which took about 30 minutes. The instructor was very nice and easy to understand, showing us which knots to tie, how to use the belay ropes and how to properly belay your partner so you don't drop them (that would be no bueno). Even my husband, who has never done any climbing or rappelling, had no problem picking everything up. After making sure each of us knew all the steps needed to keep us safe, he turned us loose.

on the auto-belay wall
On my first climbing attempt, I made it about five feet off the ground and then decided I wanted to "test" the belay system (aka my husband's ability to catch me). It worked/he did. Falling is pretty uncomfortable the first time, so try climbing a few feet up and then falling so you can experience how it feels before you're 20 feet in the air, petrified and clinging to the wall. You don't have to be a muscle man to belay your partner -- they wrap the ropes twice at the top, so the weight is significantly distributed. I had no trouble holding up my husband... and I'll admit, at first I was a little concerned about my ability to not drop him! 

auto-belay wall
There are probably about 10 pairs of ropes situated around the walls so you can climb different sections with your parter. There are also four or five auto-belay ropes, meaning there is a machine doing the job of a partner, so you can both climb. Think it's scary jumping down when your husband is holding you up? The first jump trusting a machine was quite a bit worse. Again, definitely recommend trying it once just a few feet off the ground so you can see what it feels like. The auto-belay was a really uncomfortable feeling. It's kind of like a seatbelt... if you try to sit back into it, it won't "catch". You have to fall or jump, and it takes a split second to "catch" so there was a moment of panic each time for me. But, each time, it worked like a charm, and the more we used it the more comfortable we got with it. 

Three hours later, we were completely wiped out. We knew we were done when our hands were so sore we couldn't get more than three "rocks" up. If you have lifting gloves, bring them. Those would have helped a lot.

Overall, an extremely fun afternoon! This is a great couples' date, and it would also be fun for kids. There were two kids there, both maybe nine or 10, having a blast. It IS hard and it IS a workout, so you do need to be in good health but by no means to you need to be crazy fit. All of the equipment was in good shape and seemed clean, and everyone there was very nice and very helpful!

IMHO - Do it! Fun and affordable activity for kids and adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment