Monday, May 30, 2011

Sushi + Easy = Sushezi


Cooking is an activity, too, right?

A while ago, a dear friend posted a video on my Facebook wall entitled "Redneck Sushi."

While I found the mere thought of smoked beef and barbecue in a seaweed roll revolting,  I was intrigued by this bizarre gizmo they called the "Sushezi," selling for $20.99 on Amazon. I then magically obtained the gizmo. (Read: I mentioned the gizmo to my mom and it showed up two days later via Amazon. Thanks Mom!)

When you first take it out of the box, the Sushezi appears a little gimmicky and not at all like it would actually make anything resembling sushi. It's an embarrasingly American (though made in China, of course) sushi-maker.

But the thing works. And it really is easy. I was honestly shocked.

The Sushezi
The Play-by-Play

Make your rice (short-grain sushi rice), adding whatever seasoning you like (a little rice vinegar, salt and sugar is standard).

1 c. rice makes two rolls
Using half a cup of rice per roll, mash it in the tube and use the plunger thing to make a dent for the filling.

Wet fingers to keep rice from sticking to you.
Prepare your fillings. I made a basic California roll (without cucumber... forgot to grab one at the store) with imitation crab and avocado.

nom nom nom
Layer the fillings on the rice.

It's easier to close if the fillings are all on one side.
Put the plunger in place, close the thing, latch it, turn the plunger to tighten the roll, and then push it out onto your seaweed sheet. Magic.

This large roll uses a whole seaweed sheet.
Then roll up the sheet and trim the excess seaweed.

Use a bit of water to get it to stick to itself.
And slice with a very sharp knife.

Wipe the knife with a damp cloth in between cuts. 
The Verdict

This is by far the best-looking sushi roll I have ever managed to produce... and yummy, too!

The only downside is the size of the roll... they're really big. I do wish it came in a smaller size.

The other thing is once you buy all the ingredients, especially if you're starting from scratch, you could have had a sushi feast at a restaurant for less $$.

I'm not brave enough to work with raw fish, so all of my at-home rolls include either tuna or crab, so being an at-home sushi chef (ha!) can be a little limiting.

I just wiped it off after I was done and stuck it in the dishwasher on the top shelf and it washed up nicely.

It does what it says it does and it IS easy. Fun weekend project and for $20 it's affordable!

Happy sushi-making!

No comments:

Post a Comment